Monday, January 16, 2012

The problem with the ‘yes’

On the 16th of September 2009 I’ve learned something very important: Be aware of hosts. Some of them are as charming as toilet paper, some are really sparkling charming but some of them (the most dangerous ones) are adorable dorks (Yes, I admit, I love dorks!). But let’s start from the beginning.

In 2009, I decided to fly with my friend Anna to Japan in order to spend our summer vacations there. One month in Tokyo, one month pure Japanese culture, one month with the gorgeous Anna. You have to know that she can really kick some ass. Really. Just ask the Yakuza. One day she punched the body guard of a higher ranked Yakuza because he dared to touch her. Also I had the best All-Night-Karaoke sessions with her. Aww, I miss these times.

During our stay, I wrote diary. That’s why I can say that it was a Wednesday evening, when I asked Anna to go to Ebisu garden with me. I just wanted to relax there. While sitting on a bench, watching the smoggy sky (how romantic…. not…) and drinking some coffee, I had the idea to explore Kabuki-chou after finishing the drinks.


Host Club advertising in Kabuki-chou


Yes, Kabuki-chou! Homeland for Hosts and Hostesses!

Anna agreed with this idea and taddaa some minutes later we were surrounded by men with hair which looked like palms. Seriously, who told them that it l
ooks good on them? Some are okay but if your head is at the risk to kiss the ground, maybe you should think of not using too much hairspray, Mr. Host. I’m just saying~


Okay, this one is average. But a little bit more and you would think he's a tree!
I'm not trolling on you, unknown-Host-san. I really respect you for your work O,o


Some hosts even dared to talk with us gaijins. Anna is really fluent in Japanese but I had some problems to understand them (but I improved now!). Well, the biggest problem is my habit to say “yes” even though I didn’t understand a single word. This problem was going to push me right into “hell”. But this is another story. Later, later~

So my problem led to several funny conversations.


Host: “Hey, would you like to come into my club?”
I: *was proud to understand it* “No, thank you.”
Host: “Will you come tomorrow?”
I: *brain: ehh??, the only possible brain-reaction* Yes!
Host: “Are you lying to me?”
I: *brain already in off-mode*: Yes! *with a proud voice*


We also met a Host who laughed when I made fun of him in my mother tongue which he 100% didn’t understand. So we discovered that in Kabuk
i-chou there weren’t only sparkling men…
There were straw-men (brain filled with straw) too.

After these “great” experiences we walked to the end of Kabuki-chou. The noises of the city got quieter, the host clubs turned into transvestite ba
rs and we decided to return after the next street.
Well, I never thought that this decision would change at least a couple years of my life. In this street there was a small host-club.

“Let’s play a game”, I suggested Anna while looking at the commercial for the hosts in this club. “We count until three and then we point on the host, we would date! Ok?”, until now, I still love these kind of stupid games. She agreed and we counted to three. Of course we pointed at two different guys and started to laugh. When suddenly, I still don’t know how, a small host appeared in front of us, greeting us...


This is a typical Host advertising. There are similar ones in front of each club. So you can play this game at the screen too.



No comments:

Post a Comment